dbus doesn't start

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:38:41 -0500

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:21:16PM +0100, Willem Dantuma wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 23:13, Jack Neely wrote:
>
> > Need some help debugging why dbus will not start on a Fedora Core based
> > system.  A little different from stock I also have OpenAFS, kerberos,
> > and hesiod setup and working although I don't know why that would cause
> > dbus not to start.
> >
> > Running dbus-daemon-1 --system works and exits with a return value of 0
> > but the child process isn't left.  The dbus-daemon-1 is not in ps ax and
> > the monitor tool can't find the address of the bus.  I've attached an
> > strace hoping that some clue lie within.  Also, in most cases the pid
> > file in /var/run is not left behind either.
> >
> > Also, looks like dbus puts all its sockets in /tmp and /var/run/dbus,
> > correct?  Do any sockets end up in the users' home directory?  (AFS
> > doesn't support sockets.)
>

> The strace looks normal to me, you can get more information by
> rebuilding d-bus with --enable-verbose-mode and running it with the
> DBUS_VERBOSE=1  environment variable set.
>
> Also comment out <fork/> in the system.conf file to keep it running in
> the foreground.
>
> Regards,
>
> Willem

Thanks a bunch.  Looks like the RPM was missing a prereq for the
/usr/sbin/useradd command and was getting installed in my case before
the package that provided that.  This made the %post script not able to
create the user account for dbus.

See Red Hat bugzilla #112027

Thanks,
Jack Neely
--
Jack Neely <slack@quackmaster.net>
Realm Linux Administration and Development