activation thought

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:35:55 -0400

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 06:50, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Given the worst-case timings for bonobo-activation .server / VFS
> parsing - please, please, please can we not design yet another system
> that is "tens of scattered files with 156 translations" based.[1].

Presumably we want a file per app to allow things to work with packages
(each RPM owns a file listing the services in that package).
Couldn't we address performance issues much as fontconfig does?
(e.g. an fc-cache style solution, where we composite all the small files
into one big file if the directory's timestamp has changed)
The cache could also omit translations, then we could parse individual
files "as needed" to get those, perhaps.

Havoc