[patch] wireless patch, take 2

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 26 12:53:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 15:56 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 21:17 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > This is extremely cool. Please run, don't walk, to the terminal and
> > commit it! Regarding the property.d callouts I've added an item to the
> > TODO Wiki page so we don't forget to fix it.
>
> Thanks!  This is committed.  I just noticed a small bug in the access
> point scanning code (it gets the channel instead of the frequency for
> the scanned APs), so I'll fix that as well.  Next up is support for
> setting the ESSID via HAL.  After that I'll take a look into doing the
> callout limiting stuff, at least in the daemon.  Probably won't get to
> all that today, though. :)

I wonder, would setting the ESSID via HAL be implemented like a D-BUS
method? One solution might be to expose an interface on the object with
the UDI, say,

 org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Net.Ethernet.80211

with the single method void SetESSID(string ess_id) or something? This
would throw an exception if the device doesn't have the capability
net.ethernet.80211.

Security-wise this could be locked down to only trusted binaries using
the D-BUS security framework (IIRC you can at least restrict access to
certain users, dunno about specific processes). Just a thought.

Cheers,
David