[patch] wireless patch, take 2

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Wed May 26 14:04:14 PDT 2004

Nick Penwarden wrote:
> However (unless this has been thoroughly discussed before) perhaps the
> scope of HAL should be more clearly defined. If we allow the ESSID of a
> wireless card to be set through HAL, do we also allow the IP address of
> an ethernet card to be set through HAL (maybe it already does this, I
> honestly don't know)?  What other settings?

In my opinion, if nothing else, HAL should make an exception for things
like ESSID and WEP key and WPA (when it becomes more available). This is
because, let's face it, there is no command line utility that can do
profiles, and switching keys is very difficult.

Even "cardctl scheme foo" requires other things to be restarted. A
simple userland way for these things to be set would be a godsend. DHCP
already covers 90% of desktop users today anyway. Do you change your IP
manually often?

--Pat