[patch] wireless patch, take 2

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Wed May 26 14:30:08 PDT 2004

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 22:24 +0200, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>
>>Why should you be able to set the ESSID through HAL?  I thought the
>>primary purpose of HAL was discovery, device specific control happens
>>through direct access to the device file or similar out-of-band mechanism.
>
> That is indeed the primary purpose - adding this would be a simple
> convenience for desktop session clients as Joe and Pat points out. I
> imagine that it might be convenient, at some point, to add an interface
> such that (trusted) desktop clients can disable power to certain devices
> based on the users preferences / policy etc.

OK, good, I was mainly trying to figure out the scope of HAL, not so
much arguing against Joe's patch.

However, if you change the ESSID you connect to a different network and
you may need to change the encryption settings, get a new ip address,
gateway, dns, etc. so it's not just enough to just set the ESSID.  At
that point it seems out of scope for HAL...

Kristian