[patch] wireless patch, take 2

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Thu May 27 10:29:04 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 18:42 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Some rambling: we probably want to complicate the implementation a bit
> more like this
>
>  /etc/hal/methods.d/Net/Ethernet/80211/SetEssId
>
> where SetEssId probably is a symlink and the client invokes the method
> SetEssId on the interface org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Net.Ethernet.80211.

A symlink to what?  /etc/hal/property.d/essid-change.sh or something?
My only concern about the separate methods is that HAL should probably
still call out even if the ESSID changes out from underneath HAL.

> One way it still feels a bit to me like feature-creep, but OTOH it's a
> very nice way of providing infrastructure for using devices. We'd have
> to be careful though not to abuse this though, e.g. it would be tempting
> to provide a GetPhotos method on the org.freedesktop.org.Device.Camera
> interface that returns the picture as a base64 encoded string :-). Oh
> well.

Yeah, it feels kind of gross to me because now we're adding all this
additional API that people have to learn, when we already have a nice
property system with just get and set, and we can define all the
properties pretty cleanly in the spec.  The dbus security features are
tempting, but is it worth it?

Joe