Unmounting and 'eject' press

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Sun May 30 20:29:42 PDT 2004

David Zeuthen wrote:
> But I haven't found a way to get HAL to detect that the eject button is
> pressed. I'm not sure it's even possible to poll for this. Of course the
> right thing would be to have the kernel events layer Robert have been
> talking about to broadcast this on the system message bus. Does anyone
> know if it's possible today? Kernel people?

The automounter we use in Xandros seems to 'cheat' a little, with a more
or less virtual mount. It's almost as though it mounts on demand, polls
if the drive is in use, and if it's not, unmounts it. That's how correct
eject button behaviour seems to be achieved.

 From what I know of CD drives, I thought that once the kernel locks the
tray, it has to unlock it. It's not up the the actual CD drive unit.

--Pat