[immodule-qt] introducing QT_IM_SWITCHER environment variable

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Wed Aug 18 04:56:16 EEST 2004

Hi Takumi, Hirosi, thank you for the detailed information.

In accordance with the information about Linux distributions, I
think that we should disable qtrc support. Although it may help
few people, it may also confuse a lot of people.

I'll comment out the 'default IM configuration' in
qtconfig. Stop me if you have another opinion.

At Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:01:17 +0900,
takumi at asaki.jp wrote:
> On Thursday 12 August 2004 23:38, YamaKen wrote:
>
> > I don't know what is provided on Linux distributions because I
> > live in *BSD which keep such configurations untouched.
> >
> > Is there a GUI to configure GTK_IM_MODULE? We should rely on it
> > and withdraw the qtrc support if such GUI is already available.
>
> I see why you don't understand my worry.
>
> I investigated about some linux distribution.
> These have there own Input Method setting system.
> Please see last of this mail.
>
> These are different.
>
> Some don't support uim or scim.
> Some don't support proprietary IM(ATOK, Wnn7, etc.).
> Some don't support gtk2's immodule.
>
> Some are intractive(ex. language-env) and some aren't intractive(ex. setim).
> Some have GUI(ex. localedrake, system-switch-im).
>
> User's setting file or xsession script are changed by using these tools and systems,
> IM-related environment variables are set automatically by these systems.
> So users don't need to know how to set IM-related environment variables.
>
> After these systems support immodule for Qt,
> QT_IM_* environment variables are set automatically.
> In these cases, qtconfig's IM setting doesn't work with current code.
> How to work qtconfig is unset QT_IM_* environment variables or
> change some scripts to don't set QT_IM_* environment variables.
>
> Both QT_IM_* and qtrc support was not bad for distribution that don't have default IM setting like *BSD.
> But Them confuse users at distributon that have default IM setting.

> IM setting system list.
>
> Vine Linux: setim(vutils)
>
> Mandrake(cooker): ~/.i18n, localedrake(?)
>     http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker-i18n/2004-08/msg00059.php
>     Maybe UTSUMI san knows well.
>
> Debian: language-env
>     http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=language-env