LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Apr 16 17:33:09 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 10:12, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> El Friday 16 April 2004 09:26, Sean Middleditch escribió:
> > GConf is moving in the other direction as its been shown that all those
> > little files are very innefficient; most apps want to read *all* their
> > keys, not just one or two.  Reading them all when they're one per file
> > is very slow/inefficient, especially if you have more than a handful of
> > keys.  (Like most real-world applications would.)
>
> You are thinking in desktop apps. Yes, you're right. But we have to consider

this *is* freedesktop.org, right?  ;-)  what else would I be thinking
of?

> The target is again, consistency and a common format. Other solutions should
> be resolved in a upper layer. The guy says he is open to suggestions and
> improvements. But its easy to see that it must be simple if you want it to be
> a solution at a system level, like GConf, who can't provide that because its
> design and dependencies.

A system with the features of GConf *could* be developed for small
systems.  Or maybe just designed to be much less desktop-specific.  A
configuration system that is only good for a small number of apps (like
Linux Registry) really isn't worth much, tho.  If you want a
configuration system to be "standard", it needs to support all
applications.

And one wouldn't just want to have GConf use it as a backend, because
that's time and effort spent that is pretty wasteful.  If we want it to
be common, all apps should have the features.  If we're going to adopt a
configuration backend, GNOME, KDE, GNUStep, Rox, etc. should all be able
to use it, in addition to servers and CLI tools and whatever.  Linux
Registry isn't capable of meeting the needs of real-world desktop
systems, and I'd wager not even of a good deal of server apps (notice
again that you must shutdown the server and modify the files or the
server may over-write them).  Linux Registry has no policy on how to
handle many important and common situations as it's nothing more than a
basic "read/write some files" API with a crapload of hype slapped on top
of it.

--
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.