Current desktop detection / app access ...

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon May 10 18:08:24 EEST 2004

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 17:02, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 13:39 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > 	I've had a request for something like this before in gnome-session. It
> > worried me then, and it still worries me now.
>
> 	Why - particularly ?

	It boils down to the assumption that:

  switch (desktop)
  {
    case GNOME:
       do_gnome_thing ();
       break;
    case KDE:
       do_kde_thing ();
       break;
    case CDE: /* who uses this any more? */
       g_assert_not_reached ();
       break;
  }

	is not the ideal way to fix most integration problems and the best way
often requires significant re-engineering.

	I'm uneasy because I think if we provide some straightforward mechanism
to detect which desktop you're running under, people will tend towards
just doing the quick hack.

Cheers,
Mark.