Current desktop detection / app access - take 2.

Michael Meeks michael at ximian.com
Fri May 28 11:33:46 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 15:27 +0100, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> In this case though, it was the *same* underlying technology (ie, both
> using the same hinting system). I'd prefer to only select on technologies,
> not desktops.

	Quite - admittedly the 'desktop' piece of it ie. rox|kde|... is not
ideal for switching on and potentially only useful for desktop-launch,
so perhaps using Marks' suggestion of DESKTOP_LAUNCH=<opaqe-app-path> is
a better idea & we can drop that in favour of:

	DESKTOP=kio:qt

	or whatever ;->

> I wouldn't even have a setting for VFS. Instead, make a wrapper library
> that the user can configure to use one or the other. You have to write
> this code anyway if you want to support both systems, so you might as well
> share it. Other programs will surely find it easier to link against this
> library than to write support for both systems.

	It's a nice idea, but in the OO.o case - since you have to plug it into
an existing abstraction, having yet another abstraction would be, well
painful :-)

	Regards,

		Michael.

--