[Xlibs] [announce] freedesktop.org xlibs 1.0

Daniel Stone daniel@freedesktop.org
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:05:20 +1100

--TJ9V72hR/LoebVea

Hi guys,
It's my pleasure to announce our first xlibs release: appropriately
versioned 1.0. The libraries we include are compositeext, damageext,
fixesext, randrext, renderext, resourceext, libX11, libXau, libXaw,
libXcomposite, libXcursor, libXdamage, libXdmcp, libXext, libXfixes,
libXfont, libXft, libXi, libXmu, libXpm, libXrandr, libXrender, libXres,
libXt, libXtrans, libXv, libICE, libSM, XExtensions, and last (but
certainly not least): Xproto.

Most of these libraries were sourced from XFree86 at some point in time,
and are now actively being maintained by us: they all use autoconf as
their build system, instead of imake, etc, etc. In short, they rock, and
you want to use them!

You can get them from http://freedesktop.org/~xlibs/release/xlibs-1.0;
we don't have packages ready for any distribution yet[0], but they
should be ready quite soon for most major distros. Watch
http://xlibs.freedesktop.org for news on the distro packages front (but
please disregard most of the rest of the outdated information there).

Thanks to Keith Packard and Jim Gettys for doing most of the initial
work and maintaining most of the modules here, Eric Anholt for doing
last minute release help stuff, Jeremy Reed, and others who I've
doubtless forgotten.

Cheers!
Daniel, off to start working on the fd.o platform

[0]: Even Debian, to put the conspiracy theories to bed.
[1]: ./build-xlibs /location/of/prefix
     /opt/fdo is a good place to put it, as is /usr/local/fdo, or ~/fdo.
     If you're behind a proxy, make sure your http_proxy environment
     variable is set up appropriately first.

(And Triple J are just rounding on number 1 in the Hottest 100 now -
 kind of appropriate. Happy Australia Day-ish! Jet - Are You Gonna Be My
 Girl, as it turns out.)

--=20
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel@freedesktop=
.org>