_IceTransmkdir: ERROR: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix must be set to root

Sérgio Monteiro Basto sergiomb at netcabo.pt
Mon Sep 6 15:33:37 PDT 2004

Hi,
Well, since begging of August, I had this problem for starting one kde
session with one local user, from kdm, (before first I have to login
with root to can login with one local user).

cat .xsession-errors
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
_IceTransmkdir: ERROR: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix must be set to root
_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.ICE-unix) failed, errno = 1
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local
KSMServer: Error listening for connections: Cannot establish any listening sockets
KSMServer: Aborting.
startkde: Shutting down...
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1654, errno = 0
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

Just a few day ago, I understand the problem, just after delete all
/usr/X11R6 and rebuild all from scratch.

So, to work around, this problem on my fedora core 1 with kde 3.1.4-5. I
had to add to /etc/rc.local this:
cd /tmp
mkdir .ICE-unix/
chmod 777 .ICE-unix/