Xlib: DisplayWidth / DisplayHeight

Zbigniew zbigniew2011 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 08:48:15 UTC 2023

> Are you making reference to DisplayWidth and DisplayHeight, or
> DisplayWidthMM and DisplayHeightMM?

Talking about DisplayWidth and DisplayHeight functions.

>  And please explain which X extension supplies your ``virtual screen'' functionality

It's done like this:
xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1200 --panning 2520x1575

> rather monitors or outputs, wherein the server extension that implements them
> should be exploited to ascertain their dimensions.

No, there are two functions, that should return the proper values
regardless of how the virtual screen was created, which extension has
been used etc. The programmer shouldn't be bothered with such kind of
investigation.
And I'm not talking about size of virtual screen ˛— you may want to
read again my initial post — but exactly about „physical screen”
dimensions. These are the values that should be returned by
DisplayWidth and DisplayHeight functions.

So I would expect (in my particular case) to get 1920 and 1200 values,
and NOT dimensions of virtual screen, I mean 2520 and 1575
--
regards,
Zbigniew