Xlib: DisplayWidth / DisplayHeight

Zbigniew zbigniew2011 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 16:49:12 UTC 2023

>>       „The  DisplayHeight  macro returns the height of the specified
>> screen in
>>       pixels.
>>
>>       The DisplayWidth macro returns the width of the screen in pixels.”
>>
>> This is what I want, and this is what — as „man” page states — I
>
> And this what you get. Now when I say "Screen" I mean large rectangular
> matrix of pixels I can paint on. Which is pretty much what any application
> cares about - you don't need to paint outside of screen.

Dear, if we should mean by „screen” just any „large rectangular matrix
of pixels we can paint on” — then the whole discussion has no sense
whatsoever, and I should IYO be pleased, that the two functions return
to me, well, anything at all. Just in such case — you forgot(?) to add
— the use of the functions, that return „just something”, has no
purpose.

> What do you mean by "Screen" and why ?

You already know, what I mean — since you've already guessed it: the
physical screen I have. Why? Because that's the area where the window
of my program will appear.
What makes you think, that the creators of these functions, when
designing them years ago, meant anything different at that time, than
„resolution of physical screen handled by its Xserver”?
--
regards,
Zbigniew