Why run xserver on the OpenGL API?

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys@hp.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:17:58 -0500

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 05:20, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> There's only a limited window of time where these incomplete machines will
> continue to exist.  I'm told we'll be seeing full GL implementations right
> down to cellphone devices within a year or so.  I don't think it's wise to
> design to a disappearing anomoly - ie non-GL capable hardware.

Keith,

Let me dampen your parade just a bit: people said similar
things over 10 years ago about OpenGL, IIRC (and I think I do).
A bit of skepticism is always in order over "take over the world"
statements...

That being said, enough machines do have OpenGL, and you are correct
that due to games on handsets we may even see it on embedded systems
in finite time, and we have both KAA and XAA available to support
systems that don't for 2D only based systems, that it seems to
me that doing an OpenGL based driver framework at this
time is a good idea....
                                  - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>