Why run xserver on the OpenGL API?

Kendall Bennett KendallB@scitechsoft.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:59:39 -0800

Brian Paul <brian@tungstengraphics.com> wrote:

> > Since I am sure we are not talking about building an X server based on
> > OpenGL that requires an existing OpenGL enabled X server to run, perhaps
> > you can clear this up?
>
> One of our goals (at least for Jon and myself and a few others) is
> to design a new OpenGL interface (similar to GLX) that doesn't
> require X.
>   That is, you could forego X entirely and program with the OpenGL
> API and some GLX-like glue.  There's a lot of people interested in
> running OpenGL-based apps in a full-screen, non-windowed
> environment.

Yes, we are on the same page here. As I mentioned in two other posts
already, we have already create this. It will be available in our next
SNAP SDK refresh which should be in the next week or so.

> Once we have such stand-alone OpenGL drivers, the next step is to
> layer the X server on top of it.

Since we already have the first part, perhaps there would be interest in
using the SNAP code we have developed to prototype some of this? If not I
can understand (SNAP is dual proprietry/GPL licensed), but since we will
be doing this work anyway in the future, it might make some sense.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~