Transparency

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:10:10 -0800

Around 14 o'clock on Feb 7, Simon Ask Ulsnes wrote:

> What I'm basically asking: Is it possible, with xcompmgr, to have different
> "layers" within the same window with different opacities? I suppose this
> would require some changes to the toolkits of the windows, or what?

Sure; I've hacked xterm to demonstrate this.  The X server supports a new
visual -- 32 bits deep, of which only 24 are used for RGB, the remaining 8
bits is an alpha channel.

The hacked version of xterm can be found at

	http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/xterm-trans.tar.gz

Please feel free to take that code and make it nice; I did some ugly
things to its insides.

-keith