problem with xserver - /dev/fb0: No such device

Kevin Bowen kevin@ucsd.edu
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:18:06 -0800

Hello all,
I'm trying to play around some with the xserver - got it built
successfully, but can't get it to start up. Well, actually, it starts up,
but doesn't display anything. When I run Xati, it says "Error opening
/dev/fb0: No such device", but doesn't exit - it switches to the new vt
and I can even get xterm to connect to it, but it doesn't actually display
anything - the vt where it should be is just a black screen.

Xvesa doesn't give an error message, but same behavior.

I *do* seem to have a /dev/fb0

I'm running on Fedora core 2 test1 if that makes a difference.

kevin@ucsd.edu