Why run xserver on the OpenGL API?

Allen Akin akin@pobox.com
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:55:26 -0800

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:23:48PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
| On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 03:44:35PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
|
|  > operations not supported by GL that might make good candidates (plane
|  > masks, per-component alpha, conjoint/ disjoint compositing
|  > operators).
|
|  Hmm... I can't think of a simple way of emulating plane masks.

For some reason I didn't receive Keith's message, so pardon me if
this has already been discussed.

All the hardware-design and standardization effort is going into the
programmable pipeline, which is certainly capable of accelerating
things like plane masks and per-component alpha.  (Don't know about
conjoint/disjoint compositing operators; haven't looked closely at
the definition.)

Allen