Why run xserver on the OpenGL API?

Martijn Sipkema msipkema@sipkema-digital.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:07:14 +0100

[...]
>  Per-component alpha... ouch... now that I read this again... you want
>  an 4-component blending factor which is not constant across a
>  primitive?  Hmm... what for?  (I'm not against it, just curious).  With
>  blend_func_separate you have one factor for RGB and one function for
>  alpha, for both src and dst.  The reason behind that, as I understand
>  it, is premultiplied-alpha without having to premultiply alpha.  That's
>  what I use it for anyways...

You can have a image where the color RGBA values are the alpha values
for all four channels and use contant color blending with the blending color
set to the color of the glyph to be drawn. This only allows drawing glyphs
with a constant color of course, but that shouldn't be a problem I think...

I don't like the fact that subpixel antialiasing ruins the "pixel
abstraction".
I don't think this belongs on the GL client side, but then I use a CRT
monitor :)

--ms