NEWBIE: can keith packard's translucency extensions be used on XFree86 instead of FreeDesktop.org's XServer?

Eric Christopherson rakko@charter.net
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:21:08 -0600

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 01:44:10AM -0800, dave giffin wrote:
> I'd like to have translucent windows, and Keight
> Packard's X extensions sound like the best/only way to
> do this. But I need to use XFree86 b/c it sounds like
> FreeDesktop.org's Xserver doesn't provide the support
> for my NVidia graphics card that XFree86 does provide.
>
> Is it possible (w/o much hacking) to get these
> extensions to work on XFree86 so that I can have
> translucent windows on XFree86?

In case this hasn't been answered yet: No, it isn't possible without a lot
of hacking. Also, even if the extensions were integrated into XFree86,
the binary NVidia driver as it stands now would not provide any acceleration
for them (and no one outside of NVidia knows what we need to know to get the
open-source NVidia driver to provide acceleration).

--
Furrfu!		r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t