loadble module

John (J5) Palmieri johnp@martianrock.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:54:44 -0500

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 04:55, Ely Levy wrote:
<snip>
> using dlopen(which would only work on elf systems), using apache way?
> or maybe something else all together?

I'm not an expert on X server development.  I mostly lurk here.  I just
wanted to say that dlopen certantly works on non elf systems.  I have a
project that loads C++ objects using dlopen, a nonmangled C entry point
and and pure virtual interfaces.  We use dlopen on Linux, BSD and Sun
systems.  I am pretty sure that HPUX also uses dlopen but has a
different library extention (.sl instead of .so).  It also works nativly
under windows systems using the LoadLibrary system calls and a couple of
#ifdefs placed in one file which we use for abstrating the actual
http://somelib.sourceforge.net.  I don't work on it anymore but it can
give you idea on how loading libraries can be done across different
platforms using the same codebase.

--
J5