VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?

K. Vogel kvo--gm@seagha.be
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:52:04 +0000 (UTC)

In article <Pine.GSO.4.44.0401271254300.27594-100000@vanilla.office.cyber.com.au>, Mike MacCana wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Jaymz Julian wrote:

>> > Why use VNC for this? The X protocol is already capable of proving en
>> > entire remote desktop on a distant PC.
>> >
>> > (One answer could be: you have lots of Windows clients, and unlike
>> > Linux / Unix / MacOS, Windows doesn't come with an X display server).
>>
>> Because while X is good^Wvagely acceptable at remotey viewing a set of single
>> windows over a medium bandwidth connection, it's horrifically bad dealing with
>> entire desktops, especially over low-medium bandwidth connections?
>
>> admittedly some of the x protocol
>> compression packages do make this somewhat possible,
>
> You've answered yourself here. It seems far too often people
> take X as is without any protocol compression. There's some
> brilliant stuff that's been done in the last few years, some of
> which make X quite fast over thin pipes - particularly MLView DXPC.

The people that made ml-view started a company to sell their X proxy. The
source to the proxy & compression libs are open source.

  http://www.nomachine.com/developers.php

It works pretty well on low bandwidth connections.