Major HarfBuzz development, specially the South / South-East Asian shaper, has happened in , intense week-long pair-programming hackathons between and . We have found that these quarterly events are a very productive way to develop HarfBuzz, and as such looking to continue them. Here's a timeline:
- Ngapi HarfBuzz Hackfest February 2013, Google London / Mozilla London. Implemented Win8-style Myanmar shaping, and Tai Tham, Cham, and New Tai Lue shaping, and fixed various bugs. Read full report,
- HarfBuzz "All-You-Can-Eat-Sushi" Hackfest November 2012, Mozilla Vancouver. Mostly fixed shaping with tricky / old / broken fonts for Sinhala, Khmer, and Thai, and started introspection APIs,
- Lemongrass HarfBuzz Hackfest July 2012, Mozilla Toronto. Further streamlines support for main Indic scripts and moved east-ward, adding support for Khmer. Read full report,
- HarfBuzz Massala Hackfest May 2012, Google Zurich. Serious work on the Indic shaper was started and a major milestone reached by the end of the week. Read full report,
- May 2010, Reading, UK,
- October 2009, Mozilla Toronto. Read full report, Before these hackfests, there were other gatherings under the umbrella of TextLayout summits.