|Home • About • Community • Download • Documentation • Planet|
[[!format rawhtml """
Old PulseAudio News
- 2008-09-24: Lennart Poettering published a Guide Through The Linux Sound API Jungle
- 2008-09-09: PulseAudio 0.9.12 has been released. (Changes)
- 2008-04-08: Lennart Poettering goes into detail what's up next with PulseAudio's new glitch-free playback model.
- 2008-01-24: PulseAudio 0.9.9 has been released. The only change from 0.9.8 is a fix for CVE-2008-0008. An upgrade is highly recommended. (People using -NDEBUG should also check out this email.)
- 2007-11-20: PulseAudio 0.9.8 has been released. This is a major feature enhancement release (Changes)
- 2007-11-02: Linux.com on PulseAudio
- 2007-10-30: Don't miss this interview with Lennart which goes a bit into detail what's coming next for PulseAudio
- 2007-10-30: PulseAudio 0.9.7 has been released. This is a major feature enhancement release (Changes, announcement, blog); The Volume Control, Volume Meter, Preferences, Manager, gst-pulse, xmms-pulse have been updated, too.
- 2007-10-17: ars.technica on PulseAudio and GNOME
- 2007-10-12: Please read this blog story and the email linked therein about how GNOME and PulseAudio relate.
- 2007-02-06: The video (Theora) and the slides of Lennart's PulseAudio talk at linux.conf.au 2007 in Sydney are now available for download.
- 2006-08-26: The new tool PulseAudio Preferences 0.9.5 has been released.
- 2006-08-26: PulseAudio Volume Control 0.9.4, PulseAudio Manager 0.9.3, PulseAudio Device Chooser 0.9.3 released
- 2006-08-26: PulseAudio 0.9.5 released. Changes include:
* Add module-hal-detect, a module that detects all local sound hardware using <a href="http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fhal">HAL</a> and loads the necessary modules. Handles hot-plug and hot-removal of audio devices. (By Shahms E. King) * Add shared memory transfer method for local clients * Update module-volume-restore to automatically restore the output device last used by an application in addition to the volume it last used. * Add a new module module-rescue-streams for automatically moving streams to another sink/source if the sink/source they are connected to dies * Add support for moving streams "hot" between sinks/sources * Reduce memory consumption and CPU load as result of Valgrind/Massif profiling * Add new module module-gconf for reading additional configuration statements from GConf * Fix module-tunnel to work with the latest protocol * Miscellaneous fixes
- 2006-07-24: PulseAudio Volume Control 0.9.3 released.
- 2006-07-24: PulseAudio Version 0.9.4 released. Changes include:
* Fix broken time event handling in the GLIB event loop adapter (0.9.3 shipped with a broken adapter for GLIB which caused tools like <a href="http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/padevchooser/">padevchooser</a> to hang on startup. This fix solves the problem only half-way. To fix it wholly please make sure to update <a href="http://avahi.org/">Avahi</a> to 0.6.12) * Some valgrind/massif results: halve memory consumption, make PulseAudio even more lightweight * Fix pkg-config files for AMD64
- 2006-07-21: libao-pulse 0.9.3, xmms-pulse 0.9.3, gst-pulse 0.9.3 released.
- 2006-07-21: PulseAudio 0.9.3 released. Changes include:
* add support for running the PulseAudio daemon as system-wide instance (See <a href="../Documentation/User/SystemWide/">System Wide Instance</a> for more information) * add authentication by IP address range ACL (`auth-ip-acl=`) * update FreeBSD compatibility * add support to set resource limits on platforms that support them and set some of them * remove `loopback=` argument for `module-*-protocol-tcp` since it is a superset of `listen=` and has an unexpected default * remove GLIB 1.2 event loop adapter * rework GLIB 2.0 event loop adapter to act as a single GSource, make it compatible with recursive main loops * add an API to check whether a source/sink is hardware or virtual * remove warning about SIGPIPE in client apps * improve latency calculation of NULL sink which allows it to be used for video playback * port Zeroconf code from the HOWL API to the native <a href="http://avahi.org">Avahi</a> API
- 2006-07-08: PulseAudio Volume Control 0.9.2, PulseAudio Volume Meter 0.9.2, PulseAudio Manager 0.9.2, PulseAudio Device Chooser 0.9.2, libao-pulse 0.9.2, xmms-pulse 0.9.2, gst-pulse 0.9.2 released.
- 2006-07-08: PulseAudio 0.9.2 released. Changes include:
* Rename project to PulseAudio (see <a href="http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse.html">this blog article</a> for an explanation) * increase maximum number of concurrent connections * fix latency interpolation * add support for reverse endian sound cards * add support for recording in padsp * reenable CPU load limiter * other bugfixes
- 2006-06-02: Version 0.9.1 released. Changes include:
* load modules even when libtool `.la` files are missing * generate better ALSA device names from `module-detect` * if an ALSA device doesn't support the requested number of channels or the frequency, accept what ALSA suggests instead * AMD64 portability * drop `.sh` suffix of `esdcompat.sh` * build system fixes No API or ABI changes were made
- 2006-05-26: Version 0.9.0 released. Changes include:
* new module `module-volume-restore` * new OSS API emulation tool `padsp` * require valid UTF-8 strings everywhere * properly support ALSA channel maps for surround sound * increase maximum number of channels per stream to 32 * add new threaded main loop API for synchronous programs * introduce real shared object versioning * a few API additions * many, many bugfixes
- 2006-04-28: Version 0.8.1 released. Changes include:
* support for specifying the channel map on the command lines of `paplay` and `pacat` and as arguments to the driver modules * ALSA hardware mixer compatibility * fix linking * properly remove `PF_UNIX` sockets when unloading protocol modules * fix sample cache * many other fixes
- 2006-04-13: Version 0.8 released. Changes are too many to count - consider reading this blog entry for more information. Many, many minor fixes.
- 2004-11-21: Version 0.7 released; changes include: IPv6 support; PID file support; publish credentials in X11 root window (module-x11-publish; new tool pacmd; ESOUND backend; new command load-sample-dir-lazy; many, many minor fixes.
- 2004-10-28: Version 0.6 released; changes include: TCP wrappers support; don't load the complete sound file into memory when playing back using pa_play_file(); autoload API change; don't load all sound files as FLOAT32; shorten default buffers; client-side latency interpolation; add new user volume metrics; add module-tunnel, module-null-sink, module-match and new tool paplay; new API version macros; many client API improvements; correctly lock cookie file generation; correctly lock daemon autospawning; print daemon layout to STDERR on SIGHUP; new options for pacat: allow sample type specification.
- 2004-09-24: Version 0.5.1 released; changes include: improve esound protocol compatibility; fix autospawning via libesd; make use of POSIX capabilities; allow SCHED_FIFO scheduling only for users in group realtime; minor build system fix.
- 2004-09-20: Version 0.5 released; changes include: extensive API improvements, new module module-combine for combining multiple sound cards into one, gcc 2.95 compatibility, configuration files, add "lazy" samples, support for source and network latency measurements, add module-pipe-source, many other fixes and improvements.
- 2004-09-08: Version 0.4 released; changes include: daemon auto spawning, support for SCHED_FIFO scheduling, three new modules, proper logging, CPU load watchdog, many fixes.
- 2004-08-27: Version 0.3 released; changes include: support for both glib 2.0 and glib 1.2, future cancellation, API updates, many fixes, relicense client library to LGPL.
- 2004-08-20: Version 0.2 released; changes include: added sample cache, introspection API, client API documentation, module autoloading, glib support, a module for intercepting X11 bell events, and much more.
- 2004-07-17: Version 0.1 released