2007 Text Layout Summit
When: July 4-6, 2007
Where: aKademy Conference, Glasgow, Scotland. Venue: Strathclyde University.
This year's Text Layout Summit is planned for Wednesday, July 4 through Friday, July 6, 2007 as part of the aKademy meeting in Glasgow, Scotland. The venue will be at Strathclyde University.
We are in BOF 3 which is room 10.01D on the 10th floor of Livingston Tower.
Planning Meeting on IRC Thursday 2007.06.28
Meeting on Thursday 2007.06.28 at 2100UST TimeZones in the channel ##fonts on .
Presentations & Papers
Presentation are available online at unifont.org Text Layout 2007 page.
If you are planning to present a paper, please have a draft ready for posting on the web by June 30th, 2007. Send papers to ed dot trager at gmail dot com.
Acceptable presentation formats includeOASIS .odp, PDF, and XHTML.
- HarfBuzz. HarfBuzz is being designed as a unified Text Shaper Library for the Free Desktop:
- Current Status. Simon Hausmann & Behdad Esfahbod will present on the current state of HarfBuzz development.
- Next Steps. We will have extended discussions on the development direction of HarfBuzz.
- AAT. Lars Knoll wants to eventually have AAT functionality included in HarfBuzz.
- Disseminating HarfBuzz. Discussion on what do we need to do to get major players like and interested in using HarfBuzz for text layout in the future?
- Coding. We also expect to devote time at the Summit to hacking on HarfBuzz.
- M17n Multilingualization Library:
- Presentation by Kenichi Handa.
- Discussion on including access to m17n functionality from within HarfBuzz.
- Presentation by Sharon Correll, Graphite developer from SIL.
- Discussion on providing access to Graphite functionality from within HarfBuzz.
- Design Features of ICU's Text Layout Engine. Presentation by Eric Mader.
- Discussion on what features and design aspects of ICU's layout engine ought to be incorporated into the HarfBuzz design.
- IM-Bus: IM-Bus is a new input method mediator being designed by James Su, the author of SCIM. Presentation prepared by James Su.
- IPA Fonts and Licensing: Presentation prepared by Hiroshi Miura of IPA Japan.
Tuesday July 3rd
- Evening get-together for early arrivals
Wednesday July 4th
- 8:30 - 9:00 Coffee/ Setup / Seating
- 9:00 - 9:30 Intro / Keynote
- 9:30-10:30 Series of "Lightning Talks":
- OFL'ed Font Update
- IPA Font Update
- Fontima (Trager)
- Open Font Design Toolkit Update (yosch)
- OFLB (Open Font Library) Update (eimai)
- 10:30-10:45 Break
- 10:45-11:15 CJK Unifonts Project Outlook (Arne Götje)
- 11:15-12:00 "Pan Unicode" Font Discussion (Ben Laenen)
- 12:00-13:30 Lunch
- 13:30-14:15 Design Features in ICU (Eric Mader)
- 14:15-15:00 State of HarfBuzz (including AAT integration) - Simon Hausmann with Behdad when he arrives
- 15:00-15:45 Graphite - Sharon Correll, SIL
- 15:45-16:30 m17n Font Layout Table: Knowledge Base for Complex Text - Kenichi Handa
- 16:30-16:45 New features in Pango (Brief talk by Behdad)
- 16:45-18:00 - HarfBuzz Development and Integration Discussion
- 18:00+ Continue discussions over dinner ...
Thursday July 5th
I think it would be good to have some social time on the day trip in the afternoon http://akademy.kde.org/codingmarathon/day-trip.php ]
- 08:00 Early Start to accomodate day trip ...
- 09:00 - 12:00 HarfBuzz Unified Text Layout Engine Design Discussion
- 12:00 - 13:00 Lunch
- 13;00 Bonny Banks Day Trip: Busses leave Glasgow
- 17:00 Barbeque on the beach
- 20:00 Return
Friday July 6th
- Text Layout Summit Coding Sessions