[Clipart] second opinion on some files

Roan Horning roan at horning.us
Mon Jun 2 19:03:47 PDT 2008

The mozilla rendering engine is very particular when it comes to xml
files. It appears that it needs the

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"

attribute in the svg tag--which tells it to use the svg namespace--to
know how to render the file. SVG files without that attribute causes the

This XML file does not appear to have any style information
associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

message to be generated in mozilla based browsers. I downloaded two of
these files and added the above attribute. They then rendered fine in
Epiphany 2.14.3 and Firefox 2.0.0.14.

I looked at the spec. for svg 1.1, but I couldn't tell if that attribute
is required to be a valid svg file. I don't think it is required, but it
would be nice if this was fixed for these files. Opening them in
Inkscape and doing a save as will fix the problem, or just opening the
files in a text editor and adding the namespace attribute manually.

Roan