[patch] Allow devices with no sysdevices

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Tue May 25 11:57:33 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:10:21PM -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a patch which allows us to have class devices with no
> sysdevice, and adds support to the net class device to use it.
>
> This is needed because pcmcia doesn't use sysfs correctly in the 2.6
> kernel to date.  In order to avoid changing a ton of the existing code,
> I create a fake virtual sysdevice, and any devices which don't have a
> real sysdevice use it as its parent instead.

I was wondering, is this going to be the ``preferred'' method to work with
devices without a sysfs thingie or is it just a temporary hack to get pcmcia to
work.

I'm thinking about things like bluetooth devices and services discovered through
stuff like zeroconf/openslp.. But as usual i'm not sure if this is in hal's
scope :).. Would be very nice though.

  Sjoerd
--
It's later than you think, the joint Russian-American space mission has
already begun.