[patch] Allow devices with no sysdevices

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Tue May 25 12:48:27 PDT 2004

> I was wondering, is this going to be the ``preferred'' method to work with
> devices without a sysfs thingie or is it just a temporary hack to get pcmcia to
> work.

I think it should work for any class devices (ie, /sys/class/net) which
don't have an associated sysdevice (/sys/devices/pciblahblahblah).  My
main focus was on PCMCIA network cards.

> I'm thinking about things like bluetooth devices and services discovered through
> stuff like zeroconf/openslp.. But as usual i'm not sure if this is in hal's
> scope :).. Would be very nice though.

Bluetooth I think definitely fits within the scope of HAL, but it's not
real high on my radar right now.  Last I looked the bluetooth stuff was
crazy hard to set up and I gave up on it pretty quickly.

As for zeroconf/slp... I'm not so sure about that stuff...

Joe