[patch] wireless patch, take 2

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu May 27 12:44:25 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 15:41 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 15:36 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > As you pointed out before, just setting a property is a little icky; you
> > can set a value and not have it actually mean anything.
>
> Well, I pointed that out before in response to having HAL use callouts
> to set the properties (e.g., we don't actually change much from today).
>
> Now I am suggesting that HAL actually have side effects to certain
> properties and go out and set them on _its own_.
>
> E.g., I do a hal_device_set_property() on a device's ESSID and then HAL
> goes out and tries to change the ESSID.  The property is changed iff HAL
> changes the property physically.
>
> So there is no disconnect between HAL and reality.

This is quite clever actually. And we'd still support the distro
specific things when things actually change, because then the callout is
fired, right?

What about volume.label, should we physically write to the partition
when the user sets this properties?

And some properties might need to be updated in concert, e.g. you want
to change ESSID, Wireless mode and perhaps a few more at the same time.
Should we support transactions from libhal?

How many of our exported properties does this impact? Not a lot I
guess..

Regards,
David