Compositing fun, Alt-key, Trident driver

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:07:36 -0800

Around 13 o'clock on Jan 4, Joel Dice wrote:

> One thing I've noticed is that my right Alt-key has no effect under
> Xserver.  It works fine when using the same window manager under XFree86.
> All the other keys, including the left Alt-key and both Ctrl-keys work
> fine.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be most appreciated.

Your window manager may be looking for a key with a different keysym;
kdrive advertises the actual keysyms as reported by the kernel keyboard
driver, so your 'alt' keys will have only 'Alt_L' and 'Alt_R' keysyms
while your window manager may be looking for 'Meta_L' and 'Meta_R'.  You
can either fix the window manager to accept either keysym, or use xmodmap
to add the Meta keysyms to the Alt keys.

> Finally, can anyone tell me what state the Trident driver is in?  The CVS
> history suggests that it hasn't been touched in three years, and the build
> process does not include it.

My laptop with a trident chip in it has a dead battery, so I haven't used
that server in years.  Without compositing support, it won't really help
all that much to accelerate it, so you may be just as well off running
Xvesa or Xfbdev.  But, if you do get excited about fixing up the Trident
driver, feel free to update the code.  The work probably mostly involves
stealing code from another working driver.  It would be nice if we could
find a way to reduce the amount of code duplicated among the various
drivers...

-keith