Compositing fun, Alt-key, Trident driver

Joel Dice joel.dice@colorado.edu
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:27:04 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Keith Packard wrote:

> Your window manager may be looking for a key with a different keysym;
> kdrive advertises the actual keysyms as reported by the kernel keyboard
> driver, so your 'alt' keys will have only 'Alt_L' and 'Alt_R' keysyms
> while your window manager may be looking for 'Meta_L' and 'Meta_R'.  You
> can either fix the window manager to accept either keysym, or use xmodmap
> to add the Meta keysyms to the Alt keys.

Thanks, Keith.  After some fiddling with xmodmap and xev, the key is
working.  For whatever reason, it was being treated as the Mode_switch
key, so my window manager was getting Mode_switch instead of Alt_R.

> My laptop with a trident chip in it has a dead battery, so I haven't used
> that server in years.  Without compositing support, it won't really help
> all that much to accelerate it, so you may be just as well off running
> Xvesa or Xfbdev.  But, if you do get excited about fixing up the Trident
> driver, feel free to update the code.  The work probably mostly involves
> stealing code from another working driver.  It would be nice if we could
> find a way to reduce the amount of code duplicated among the various
> drivers...

Thanks.  I'll start playing with the code.  Even if there's no noticable
performance benefit, it should be a good learning experience.

 - Joel