Project suggestion

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver@cs.huji.ac.il
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:15:50 +0200 (IST)

Hey,
After not finding the right people to talk to on irc
I thought I would try e-mailing the list.
I want to suggest a new project FedoX,
The idea behind it is to let people who need a sort of stable server
the ability to use the new extentions and the like.
As I see it, it would benefit both users which would be very happy about
it, and developers which would get more people using the code they wrote.
I think starting with xfree's 4.4 beta adding a build patch for it so it
would be built without the need for the whole tree, and adding the patchs
needed for making the extentions to work (right now I'm only aware of
xcomposite having a problem).Later on when xserver would be stable and
usuable the code base can be moved to be a stable tree of xserver.
Another thing is that it would let developers of desktops like kde or
gnome to already be able to use the new extentions so xserver would be
more easy integrated when time comes.

The project would also assist in packaging and integrating the
server/extentions into diffrent distributions.

I think it's a very good idea that would attact people to participte.
And when xserver would be ready would also let xserver's people to keep
developing while someone maintains the stable tree.

I think 2-3 more people are required in order to get the project running,
and someone to either fix or write patch for the composite extention.

Anyone feel like joining in?
thought/idea?

Nakee