Trident driver

Mike A. Harris mharris@www.linux.org.uk
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:05:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Eric Anholt wrote:

>> That hasn't been my experience.  Alan Hourihane is the only
>> person I'm aware of that has managed to squeeze documentation out
>> of Trident.  I tried to get docs about 2 years ago, but had a bad
>> experience, and never bothered to try again since then.  Perhaps
>> things are different now however and it's worth trying again.
>
>OK, I meant for this specific chipset.  I had been handed the docs
>earlier without even an NDA, and at some point at least they were
>publicly available on VIA's website.
>
>Ah, here:
>http://www.viavpsd.com/product/Download.jsp?motherboardId=21
>
>If we can get the 2d working, I'd be interested in hooking up Blend
>acceleration for it.  That would increase my motivation to figure out
>how to do general Composites using two Blend stages and a scratch area,
>too.  Maybe I'll dig my broken 2d code out now and see if I can find
>obvious errors.

Ah, VIA's a bit different.  ;o)  They've been very OSS friendly
in the last year or so.  I've got a few PDFs of theirs also,
possibly the same ones you have.

Alan has been doing a fair bit of work on the EPIA boards lately,
and has 3D accel working now (with XFree86).  It'd be nice to
assimilate him into fd.o xserver hacking.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris