loadble module

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:55:21 +1030

Around 11 o'clock on Jan 13, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> libtool has a library, libltdl, which abstracts system dlopen-like
> interfaces behind a single interface.  It supports all major unices,
> Windows, and several other platforms, iirc.

libltdl may be a good thing to look at; I fear dependency on .la files,
which are known to be evil on Linux and Solaris while necessary on other
systems.  We'd want to look at it closely before using it.

Also, the drivers would need a .so to link against containing the DIX
symbols they use; I think that would easiest if the whole server was one
giant .so file.

I don't know myself if this is the right direction; but I think we would
benefit from a bit of exploration though.

-keith