loadble module

Sean Middleditch elanthis@awesomeplay.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:35:07 -0500

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 23:25, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 11 o'clock on Jan 13, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > libtool has a library, libltdl, which abstracts system dlopen-like
> > interfaces behind a single interface.  It supports all major unices,
> > Windows, and several other platforms, iirc.
>
> libltdl may be a good thing to look at; I fear dependency on .la files,
> which are known to be evil on Linux and Solaris while necessary on other
> systems.  We'd want to look at it closely before using it.

Hmm.  You could, at the cost of code complexity, simply have different
driver loading mechanisms for various platforms.  Systems where you know
dlopen() works as you need, just use it directly, and on other systems
use libltdl.  I don't mean to say that's an ideal solution, but it is a
solution, if the .la evilness if indeed a true problem.

> Also, the drivers would need a .so to link against containing the DIX
> symbols they use; I think that would easiest if the whole server was one
> giant .so file.

I had comments about that in my other mail.

> I don't know myself if this is the right direction; but I think we would
> benefit from a bit of exploration though.

Righty.  :)