FreeBSD? [was: compiling, ltmain.sh not found]

Eric Anholt eta@lclark.edu
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:37:18 -0800

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 13:33, Nicolas Souchu wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 04:38:38PM -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:
> [...]
> > I've spent a lot of time fighting with autotools both with this project
> > and glide on FreeBSD.  Usually for fd.o stuff I just roll a distfile
> [...]
>
> I finally found the same tricks.
>
> > We need a vesa driver for FreeBSD (using the kernel's VESA support, I
> > expect, as I was utterly defeated in my attempts to use vm86 for it).
> > We also need a keyboard driver.  The linux mouse driver should work
> > fine, I expect.  At that point we should have the current accelerated
> > drivers working.
>
> The GGI linux driver works, xserver one's should also.
>
> Sorry, but what's the relationship between VESA and:
> "At that point we should have the current accelerated drivers working"

The accelerated drivers use the VESA or fbdev (on linux) backends to set
the video mode.  For ATI and Matrox cards, at least, the VESA
initialization sets up the card properly for acceleration, so all we
have to implement in the driver is the actual acceleration code rather
than the intialization and mode setup code.   Of course, this leaves us
without nice features like MergedFB or other multihead support.

> > While on our family vacation the last few days, I got working on
> > whacking hw/kdrive/vesa into using the kernel's VESA support for mode
> > setting.  I think it's pretty close, at least for the modes people
>
> Do you use libvgl?

Nope.  All of the code in the vesa driver is basically dealing with
setting modes and mapping the framebuffer, which libvgl probably won't
help with.

> > actually want to be using.  If KGI could be integrated for FreeBSD and
> > provide us with a better solution, that would be excellent.
>
> Yes, with kdriver graphic drivers compiled in the kernel as KGI suggests
> it.
>
> Any IRC channel about xserver/kdrive?

#freedesktop on freenode.net is where most of us hang out.  That and
#xwin

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org