XServer Effects on Fedora

Joel Dice joel.dice@colorado.edu
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:20:26 +0100 (CET)

Hi Keven.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 itageek@shaw.ca wrote:

> I used the script found on Freedesktop.org, and it compiled just fine,
> however, it installed itself to /opt/fdo or something. The Xserver
> didn't start as I thought it would.

Which server did you use, and how did you try to start it (with what
arguments)?  What happened exactly when you started it?  Did you try all
three of the Xati, Xfbdev, and Xvesa servers?

> How can I install this Xserver to become my main server for this
> computer? I want to have the shadows and etc (transparent menus)
> available for the entire system, I am currently running Gnome and I've
> seen screenshots of Fedora 1 with Gnome and the effects, so I know it is
> possible.

For the shadow and translucency effects, you must run xcompmgr from within
your X session (type "xcompmgr &" from within a terminal emulator).
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to specify which X display to
use when running xcompmgr, so you can't start it from within the same
script that starts the server (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong
about that).  Of course, if you're having trouble getting the server to
start, you'll need to fix that first.

As for making it your default X server, the easiest way would be to write
a shell script that starts the server, Gnome, and whatever else you need,
and run that whenever you want to use X.  Properly integrating it with
Fedora (getting gdm to use it, etc.) is beyond me, though.  Maybe somebody
else on this list can help you with that.

 - Joel