VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer@free.fr
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:04:43 +0100

>   a) With RFB, the client doesn't have to maintain any state. Clients
>      can come and go without any problems - if a client disconnects and
>      then reconnects it only needs initialize the connection and receive
>      the full frame buffer contents from the server.

Well, this is (for me), THE most important point about VNC : the
statelessness (sp?) of the connection. Being able to disconnect whenever one
wants and to reconnect (maybe from another IP or box) is really a must.

Of course, if something like that was available as an extension for 'plain
X' and all clients supported it, that would be even better (as on fast
networks, remote X is faster than VNC).

I see something like that : when shutting the X server down, it would send
some special events to all clients saying 'OK, we are going in
connection-less mode'. It would also save somewhere all the connection
informations for all clients.

When you want to restore your state, the server will parse these
informations and connect to these clients informing them that a new server
is here to handle their displays. Of course, you will then have all the
issues about NAT-ing and reverse connections from server to clients ... but
it would be cool :-)

Or one could imagine the notion of a 'proxy X server' which would run on a
box that is known to never stop and have the real display X server connect
to this proxy one (which would just serve as a tunnel for the X commands /