VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?

Alan Hourihane alanh@fairlite.demon.co.uk
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:17:20 +0000

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:04:43PM +0100, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> >   a) With RFB, the client doesn't have to maintain any state. Clients
> >      can come and go without any problems - if a client disconnects and
> >      then reconnects it only needs initialize the connection and receive
> >      the full frame buffer contents from the server.
>
> Well, this is (for me), THE most important point about VNC : the
> statelessness (sp?) of the connection. Being able to disconnect whenever one
> wants and to reconnect (maybe from another IP or box) is really a must.
>
> Of course, if something like that was available as an extension for 'plain
> X' and all clients supported it, that would be even better (as on fast
> networks, remote X is faster than VNC).

There is already an extension for XFree86 that's a loadable module. The
project is xf4vnc available at http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net.

It has client side library that dishes out events on client connection
and disconnection too.

It's peanuts to add this to kdrive.

I've not looked at the DAMAGE extension, but it shouldn't take too
much more work to get it to use that layer either.

Alan.